[Linux-aus] Re: Swedish piracy party.

flame flame_ml at aphplix.org
Fri Jun 23 11:59:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 11:29 +0930, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> flame wrote:

> > Um, so we are all in agreement that these Piratpartiet people are in
> > fact the enemy of freedom, right?  We all understand that they propose
> > to invalidate the GPL and take away our rights?
> >
> > If you think that the changes they propose will make for a fair and
> > equal system, think again...
> > --
> > flame
>
> Its certainly an interesting phenomenon.
> Their TShirts are hosted by Disney/Time Warner on Zazzle
> http://tinyurl.com/gj482
> Their lead guy is (ex)Microsoft.
> It puts debate about public rights under a pirate flag.
> Which is just where Time Warner/ Disney/ Microsoft would like to have
> them. Will be an interesting process to watch.
>
> They list that they want free use for not for profit purposes
> and community information. Ive asked them about gpl.

And free commercial use after 5 years. Hands up anyone who thinks the
billion dollar corporations wouldn't turn this to their advantage
without even breaking a sweat.

> Their battle may turn out to be parallel with ours.
> It may also turn out to be muddying the water for the legitimate
> reputation of floss. Accidentally or not.
> Something for better brains than mine.

This is a dirty war, M$ has proved this time after time, and then we
have companies like $CO who have actually been caught out attempting to
have some of their own employees infiltrate a pro-Linux anti-$CO protest
displaying signs with slogans such as "I love software piracy.

But conspiracy theories (or actual conspiracies) aside, the simple fact
must be remembered... The enemy of my enemy is NOT ALWAYS my friend.

> I guess the question for us is how do Australians tackle this issue
> without a pirate brand and keeping the floss reputation safe in a
> conservative nation.

With relation to fighting unfair 'IP' laws, people need to be forced to
care and forced to take action. People need to be told exactly and
specifically how they will be personally affected. Australians in
general couldn't give a crap, we just sit there and say "She'll be right
mate" while our government lies it's arse off and slowly takes away all
of our rights. And on that note, Im going to go watch Fight Club
[legally purchased DVD] again.

--
flame