[Linux-aus] Re: Swedish piracy party.

Janet Hawtin lucychili at internode.on.net
Fri Jun 23 10:00:04 UTC 2006

flame wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 20:59 +0930, Janet Hawtin wrote:
>
>>Francesco Peeters wrote:
>>>All power to the Piratpartiet!  :-)
>
> Um, so we are all in agreement that these Piratpartiet people are in
> fact the enemy of freedom, right?  We all understand that they propose
> to invalidate the GPL and take away our rights?
>
> If you think that the changes they propose will make for a fair and
> equal system, think again...
> --
> flame

Its certainly an interesting phenomenon.
Their TShirts are hosted by Disney/Time Warner on Zazzle
http://tinyurl.com/gj482
Their lead guy is (ex)Microsoft.
It puts debate about public rights under a pirate flag.
Which is just where Time Warner/ Disney/ Microsoft would like to have
them. Will be an interesting process to watch.

They list that they want free use for not for profit purposes
and community information. Ive asked them about gpl.

Their battle may turn out to be parallel with ours.
It may also turn out to be muddying the water for the legitimate
reputation of floss. Accidentally or not.
Something for better brains than mine.

I guess the question for us is how do Australians tackle this issue
without a pirate brand and keeping the floss reputation safe in a
conservative nation.