[Linux-aus] Re: LCA: bringing the process forward

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Thu Feb 16 11:09:02 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Del <del at babel.com.au> wrote:
> Given that we have a winning bid from Sydney and a 2nd place (were
> there others?) bid from Melbourne for 2007, would it not make a certain
> amount of sense to quickly ask the Melbourne 2007 bidders if they are
> happy to go with an identical bid for Melbourne 2008 and hand it over
> to them on that basis?

During the decision process just prior to selecting Sydney for 2007
there was actually brief discussion among the Committee about doing a
double-whammy announcement: at the LCA just gone we could have
announced the venue for 2007, then after the cheering and
flower-throwing said "and by the way, the venue for 2008 is ...

I think a few jaws would have hit the floor.

However, we decided not to do that for a couple of reasons. Firstly
because it's just plain not fair to others who may have been thinking
of bidding for 2008 but hadn't got underway yet because they thought
they still had plenty of time, and secondly because although they came
pretty close we thought the Melbourne team needed to do a slightly
better job of proving themselves.

That's why I've gone public with a call for bids for 2008 so early.
Melbourne have a fairly serious head start because they have built and
maintained interest and momentum from the bid for 2007, but it's
definitely not a forgone conclusion and if other teams want to pitch
for it then they should get their skates on.

Cheers   :-)


More information about the linux-aus mailing list