[Linux-aus] Re: Squiz.net Open Source License - is it free?

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Thu Feb 9 14:02:02 UTC 2006

At 2006/2/7 16:40+1100  Pia Waugh writes:
> Personally I'd like to see a broader definition of "open source" to include
> open licences, open standards, open knowledge and open community before it
> could fall into the category which is important. If a group has something
> which is open source licenced but doesn't allow anyone to participate, has
> no documentation or information freely published and isn't based on open
> standards, then it is questionable in my opinion.

I think the distinguishing factor about "open source" compared to the
others is that if the code is open source, then anyone is free to
take/fork that code and create an open development environment, create
documentation and write standards documentation.

However, if you have the situation where the code isn't open source,
but you have all the other "features", there is nothing an outsider
can do about it.

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org