[Linux-aus] Re: Squiz.net Open Source License - is it free?

Pia Waugh pia at waugh.id.au
Thu Feb 9 08:29:01 UTC 2006

Hi Andrew,

<quote who="Andrew Donnellan">

> The OSI is now becoming more and more irrelevant. Open source is a
> very generic term that is bent in many ways.

Interesting viewpoint, but while I think the OSI isn't doing much, I also
recognise that OSI also provides the only place to differentiate between
what is an open source licence and what isn't. I think it is very useful. I
understand some people have had trouble with getting more licences OSI
approved, but that people calling something open source when it isn't and
that the OSI definition provies a point of reference is very important.

> Anyway, as the license violates the DFSG, it violates the FSF Four
> Freedoms and the OSD as well.

Personally I'd like to see a broader definition of "open source" to include
open licences, open standards, open knowledge and open community before it
could fall into the category which is important. If a group has something
which is open source licenced but doesn't allow anyone to participate, has
no documentation or information freely published and isn't based on open
standards, then it is questionable in my opinion.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it
               would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien