[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] [Fwd: Re: [xxxxxxx] FW: Re: S.A. Parliament - Ubuntu Matter of Interest]

Glen Turner glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au
Mon Dec 4 15:13:02 UTC 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Who wrote this nonsense? What has it got to do with Senator(?) Dennis Hood?
>
> I don't think it is at all important for us to be spending time running around
> answering the misrepresentations of random Internet trolls, even if they are
> on the Linux Australia mailing list (I hear they let anyone subscribe these
> days *wink*).
>
> Unless this person is somebody important, say, the Federal Minister for IT,
> there is no point spending time on this.

Oh dear Steven,

1) How Janet and Brenda choose to spend their time is really up
to them.  The only waste of time here would seem to be your blunt
e-mail criticising people who are doing something. Mailing list
behaviour is one of the major reasons for people being turned
away from Linux, and yours is a classic.

2) Everyone is important. That's one of the lessons we can learn
from the FSF Europe campaign opposing software patents.  Our
efforts have not been nearly as successful as theirs (look at
our forthcoming Copyright Act) and one of the reasons is that
we have no sustained, broad-reaching lobbying.  I'll note that
Janet and Brenda are amoung the few people that do such lobbying.

In this specific example, the Family First party may well end up
holding the balance of power in the Federal Senate after the next
election. Your notion of importance lacks political sophistication.

Regards, Glen