Re: [Linux-aus] Broadcast and netcasting: the next round on our digital rights.

<bigsnip>

They allow the user a hell of a lot more control over what they watch
than the traditional media does. Whats going to come next is the new

Current commercial communicaton organisations, including Google, Triple M and such don't care about the users most technical people care about. They only care about who watches, listens to or is exposed to ad campaigns.

Their REAL customer are the advertisers or, in Google's business model, those who somehow pay. I'm not giving Google any slack here because the reality is that if someone didn't pay for it to run it wouldn't be there.

Don't get sucked in by darling successes - Google's as big a business as Microsoft.

The problem is that consumer don't WANT to watch advertising bull shit. I don't. Almost all new technolgy minus DRM wipes out the need to watch advertising.

I don't think they give a hoot about copyright and that crap - they obviously don't [I've never seen pirated software EVER and I know if RIAA audited any SME they'd reap a huge profit and backlash] - what they're worried about is that people will be able to LEGITIMATELY block the PAID FOR ads...

That's the big issue.

DSL