Re: [Linux-aus] Broadcast and netcasting: the next round on our digital rights.

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 21:59 +0930, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Just a heads up that beyond the DMCA on the not so distand horizon
> the same WIPO organisation is working on giving people who broadcast or netcast
> over the internet 'parity' licenses with their offline counterparts.
> This means they want to own copyright of material they transmit.
> Regardless of the status of the material as public domain, cc or copyright to a
> person or organisation.
>
> Some good links for information on this issue include

This is something I don't understand. Broadcasting a piece does not
constitute a new performance, and it should not convey on the
broadcaster rights they did not negotiate with the copyright owner.

The foundation of licenses such as the BSD and GPL is copyright. Its
through the ability to specifically allow and deny certain rights to
recipients of our work that we can do what we do. By automatically
assigning extra rights beyond what has been originally agreed, the power
is taken away from the content creator and given to the distributor.
This is just plain wrong and works against the spirit and intent of
copyrights in the first place.

We stand on the cusp of a huge shift in the way the media is used across
the globe. From new digital media services, to internet based media.
Sites like youtube and video.google represent one part of this new wave.
They allow the user a hell of a lot more control over what they watch
than the traditional media does. Whats going to come next is the new
media players. Technologies like annodex combined with new content
creators and new, integrated media devices like those being developed by
Bluebox all mean that a consumers viewing world just got a whole lot
bigger.

Well thats my rant for tonight I'll stop now
--
James Purser
Producer/Presenter - Open Source On The Air