[Linux-aus] Anti-circumvention: meeting with Attorney General's Deparment

Hi all!

	Today AJ and I met with the AG's department to discuss their approach
to implementing the anti-circumvention provisions of the AUSFTA.  The
good news is that all our hard work seems to be paying off: they now
seem to understand our issues, and are trying to address them.  In
particular, it looks as if liability for these laws will be tied to some
kind of copyright issue: ie. no copyright infringement anywhere == no
liability.  This is what we need (think OSS DVD players).

	We will keep the pressure on: the petition is particularly important.
We expect a draft of the legislation in late August, where we'll see
whether they've tied these laws to actual copyright infringement clearly
enough to avoid banning legitimate activities.

Thanks for all the help so far!
Rusty.
--
Help! Save Australia from the worst of the DMCA: http://linux.org.au/law