[Linux-aus] Linux distributors unite on desktop standard

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 05:45:02 UTC 2006

Knowing what has happened in the past, I think this is history
repeating itself. LSB only caters for RPM based distros, Mark
Shuttleworth has his concerns about the DCC Alliance, UnitedLinux shut
down.

BTW it's funny that this comes off MSN :)

Andrew

On 4/22/06, Dale <quail.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> <snip>
> NEW YORK - In a move to make the freely distributed Linux operating
> system a stronger alternative to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows, a group of
> major Linux distributors announced Friday they have united on a
> standard set of components for desktop versions of Linux.
>
> The standard created by the Free Standards Group should make it easier
> for developers to write applications that will work on Linux versions
> from different distributors.
>
> Linux has a firm foothold as an operating system for servers — it's
> popular for hosting Web sites, for instance — but has only a few
> percent of the desktop market.
> </snip>
>
> for full story
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12424790/
>
> --
> Dale
> [WWW] http://southernvaleslug.org/
> "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
>  thinking we were at when we created them"
>  Albert Einstein

Andrew Donnellan
http://andrewdonnellan.com
http://ajdlinux.blogspot.com