[Linux-aus] RE: Linux distributors unite on desktop standard

David Wolverton david.wolverton at internode.on.net
Sat Apr 22 21:07:05 UTC 2006

Nice one...  Take THAT M$ ;-)

Regards,
DFW

-----Original Message-----
From: linuxsa-bounces at linuxsa.org.au
[mailto:linuxsa-bounces at linuxsa.org.au] On Behalf Of Dale
Hi all,

<snip>
NEW YORK - In a move to make the freely distributed Linux operating
system a stronger alternative to Microsoft Corp.'s Windows, a group of
major Linux distributors announced Friday they have united on a
standard set of components for desktop versions of Linux.

The standard created by the Free Standards Group should make it easier
for developers to write applications that will work on Linux versions
from different distributors.

Linux has a firm foothold as an operating system for servers - it's
popular for hosting Web sites, for instance - but has only a few
percent of the desktop market.
</snip>

for full story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12424790/