[Linux-aus] Linux distributors unite on desktop standard

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Mon Apr 24 09:26:01 UTC 2006

At 2006/4/23 07:44+1000  Andrew Donnellan writes:
> Knowing what has happened in the past, I think this is history
> repeating itself. LSB only caters for RPM based distros, Mark
> Shuttleworth has his concerns about the DCC Alliance, UnitedLinux shut
> down.

It is simply incorrect to state that the LSB only caters for RPM based
distros. For starters there are Debian developers who actively
participate both in the development of the LSB as well getting Debian
compliant with the standard.

One aspect of the standard which has confused people is the
specification of RPM. The standard recommends the use of the RPM file
format, not the rpm program or database. In relation to RPM, the
*only* functionality required of a compliant distribution is to be
able to install a file of RPM format (as specificed by the LSB). The
manner in which the installation is to be done (ie the program you
use) is distribution specific.

There were features of the RPM file format which specifically omitted
from the specification in order to allow Debian to use programs like
alien to cleanly and transparently install LSB compliant packages.

In addition, you don't strictly need to package an application in the
RPM file format, but if not, then your installer must itself be LSB
compliant (so it can be installed by an LSB compliant distribution).

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org