[Osia-discuss] Re: [Linux-aus] Help with a political approach to Open Source please :)

Arik Gershoni arik at cyber.com.au
Mon Oct 10 12:03:01 UTC 2005

Con Zymaris wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 09:06:45AM +1000, Pia Waugh wrote:
>

>>Hey Con,
>>
>><quote who="Con Zymaris">
>>

>>>http://www.cybersource.com.au/users/conz/introduction_to_open_source_software.pdf
>>>

>>This is a good base introduction, but it is really only talking about the
>>business case benefits, and my aim is to get OS on the political agenda,
>>

>Indeed - totally different.
>
>This document, in essence, is a structured letter, not a report or
>anything else. It is, as mentioned, the third or forth 'letter' we send
>these contacts, so it's part of a sequence and not intended to be a
>self-standing item. We could have done everything we needed to do in plain
>ASCII text, but it just looks nicer as a PDF.
>

>>which is why I've gone with more high level economic and social benefits. I
>>think the points you've raised in this are pretty good, and I'd like to use
>>a bit if that is ok. I also have some suggestions for the document below if
>>it is useful.
>>

>no problemo.
>

>>Technical points:
>>- No mention of Evolution?
>>

>Doesn't run on Windows. Few of these people will be using Linux.
>

>>- Hula?
>>- Drupal or MySource Matrix
>>

>It's a case of "How much do you put in?"
>

>>- Why aren't osia.net.au or linux.org.au on the recommended links? On the
>>

>It's an OSV document - confuses the issue to point to too many
>organisations.
>

>>  linux.org.au site we now have a list of case studies, screenshots, and
>>osia is obviously relevant. Telling someone all that and then pointing them
>>to sourceforge is a bit cruel really :) At least pointing to a vendor
>>listing from somewhere.
>>

>Sourceforge lists apps. We want them to be able to search for and find
>apps.
>

>>- If it is an OSV doco then why are the contact details all CyberSource? Is
>>

>There is no OSV office or phone numbers. We're making the contact so we
>need to provide our contact details. The document points out that we stay
>well clear of pushing any commercial emphasis - it's the only way to gain
>the necessary trust.
>

>>  it an OSV doco or a cybersource doco? Just want to be clear. I have no
>>problems with marketing documents as long as there is no confusion.
>>

>It's an OSV doco, thus the OSV logo and branding in the footer.
>

>>>We've got the process just about right for this audience. If people want
>>>to volunteer help so we can reach other audiences, (non--profits, local
>>>councils, business councils, professional associations, sporting clubs
>>>etc), please speak to me so we can co-ordinate and optimise efforts. This
>>>is a year-long project for one or two people, but could be a 3 month one
>>>for 6 people.
>>>

>>If I'd known your were doing this I would certainly have volunteered to help
>>:) If you could post such initiatives to list I'm sure you'll get a lot of
> [...]
hi Pia,

Sorry I have been away and was not able to participate in the
discussion. As Con points out the real intention is to build a
relationship. Few say no thank you, most show varying levels of
interest. We are talking to the following  organizations at this point:
BECs-Business Enterprise Centers
VBCs-Victorian Business Centers
SBAO-Small Business Answer Office
And we have another list of at least 50 contacts in local
governments/shires that we are about to launch into. There is a great
deal more to say, but I would rather do it over the phone.
If you are interested please email me at:

arik at cybersource.com.au

All the best,

Arik.

Arik Gershoni
Special Projects Officer
<arik at cyber.com.au>
Level 4, 10 Queen St, Melbourne, Australia
Web: http://www.cyber.com.au/  Phone: 03 9621 2377   Fax: 03 9621 2477