[Linux-aus] Re: [Osia-discuss] Help with a political approach to Open Source please :)

Adam Kennedy adam at phase-n.com
Thu Oct 6 06:50:02 UTC 2005

Beyond just the deficit-influencing factors involved, you could also be
removing a large amount of process costs across practically every
industry in the entire country.

A reduction in costs across industry in general means in increasing in
productivity numbers of the country as a whole. Productivity numbers are
another big metric that economic types care about (although they don't
seem to draw the level of media focus the trade deficits do).

And as it matures more, the TCO of open source software and systems is
only heading downwards. Which means consistent productivity growth.

Of course, I don't have any number to back me up, it could only mean a
hundredth of a percent per year. But the concept would seem to hold.

And another point, "good for small business". As open source matures, it
means that small businesses can adopt more powerful software systems
much earlier in their growth.

As we speak I'm rolling out a 95% open source source internet-based
solution for a small company with 15 staff and no offices, but at their
limits. By the end of the year this is going to be 50 people with no
offices. If I had to use commercial software to build what we are
building now, they would never be able to afford the of software I'm
leveraging for this project, and would be in a far worse off position.

And they can add new employees as fast as they like with no additional
licensing costs.

When you are struggling for cash and need to expand quickly, Open Source
is much more flexible.

Adam K