[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] 2005/03/15 Ctte meeting summary

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Thu Mar 17 11:02:05 UTC 2005

[I've CCd this to linux-aus to move discussion there, as explained
further in a moment...]

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 14:33 +1100, Pia Smith wrote:

> Is it opssible to get these little updates put somewhere so people can see
> them? On the late minutes page as informal notes and/or posted to linux-aus.
> We need to ensure people are across what we are doing.

Absolutely. I was going to suggest we post AJs list of topics (I
hesitate to call it an 'agenda', because that implies a formal meeting)
to linux-aus prior to each weekly teleconf just so people know what's
going to be discussed and have a chance to speak up about things.

> Jon, were you keen to
> take over doing the monthly reports to linux-aus as to our status and
> upcomign events?

Sure.

Which reminds me: right now we're having a discussion in private, when
there's no reason this shouldn't be public. It's a very hard habit for
the committee to break, but from now on how about we all apply a
pre-flight check every time we're about to post something to committee@
and ask ourselves: "does this *really* need to be private?".

If not, send it to linux-aus instead. Within Debian, for example,
there's a culture that if you send something to debian-private there'd
better be a very good reason for keeping it secret, and people are
not-so-subtly corrected if they use the private list for general
discussion. I think we need to start taking the same approach here, and
if we do it would make monthly updates nice but certainly not essential
since everyone can stay up to date on an issue-by-issue basis.

BTW Pia, sorry about not sounding enthusiastic about things on the phone
yesterday: you caught me at a stressed moment near the end of a day of
frantically trying to get a server ready for a customer. What you were
saying sounds great, and I think what you have in mind should work out
really well. [For those reading along at home who don't have any idea
what I'm talking about, there'll be more about this soon!]

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer