[Linux-aus] Re: [LACTTE] Trademark

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Tue Mar 15 06:58:02 UTC 2005

[Replying to linux-aus so everyone gets an update on this]

[Context: There has been a dispute over the registration of "Linux" as a
trademark in Australia. LA has been attempting to register it on behalf
of Linus and the community but a commercial company has also been trying
to control it. The person at that company who submitted the original
application has now changed her point of view about it though.

At present LA has an application in place and we're just waiting out a
required period before a decision is handed down.

If anyone wants to know more details there are others more qualified
than myself to talk to specific issues, and Jeremy Malcolm has been
assisting LA with legal advice.]

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 14:48 +1100, Pia Smith wrote:

> "Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused and
> my withdrawal of the trademark," said Williams
>
> http://www.linux.org.au/blogs/index.php?session=nsv1MIVOF7w9&menu=entries&func=entrysubmit
>
> So now maybe all that needs to happen is we secure the Linux trademark and
> hand it over to LI?

I don't think that changes anything in terms of the application for the
trademark though, and of course it depends on whether she applied for
the trademark personally or on behalf of her employer (in which case the
application may still stand).

AFAIK it's still a waiting game for the statutory period, after which
we'll either have it or not.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer