[Linux-aus] About a User Conference (was...)

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Mar 1 10:05:02 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 08:11, Michael Still wrote:
> Anand Kumria wrote:
>> Note anything more than $0 is too much.

> Perhaps. How do you fund an event without having any money though?

Sponsors. But I think $0 would be a mistake. If you just wanted as many
people as possible, sure, but attendees won't take it seriously if it's
free. Maybe $50 a day, $20 a day for concessions as a floor?

>> Actually there are now people in all cities of Australia who know
>> how to run an LCA-style event.  There are people in all cities of
>> Australia who know how to run a LUG-style event.

> Yes. None of them have made a proposal for such an event though. If
> one of them would like to do so, then that would be fine.

PLUG is getting fairly excited about the idea. I'll get a new list made
for the purpose and see if anything eventuates.

>> LCA caters, to a degree, to introductory programmers.  Davyd
>> Madeley, for example, was exposed to Jeff Waugh at one of the
>> previous LCAs and now contributes regularly to GNOME.

> Absolutely. I was more thinking of Windows-centric ISV / bespoke
> programmers wanting to port their worlds to Linux / open source
> however.

As was I. And businesses looking for a little low-risk training to
reduce their fear of taking a leap of faith.

> Perhaps. The idea behind the proposal was that small is beautiful.
> The event can get more complex over time. Compare the complexity of
> LCA 2001 with that of LCA 2005.

The trombones, the marching girls, the fireworks, the airships... (-:

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia