[Linux-aus] Grant Scheme: libferris, evolution and libxml

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Fri Jun 3 19:55:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 18:21 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> Note that the bounties were tied to maintainer acceptance. That means that
> merely satisfying bullet-point requirements is not good enough - it has to
> be acceptable to the maintainer, and make sense within the context of the
> codebase.

My apologies: I did not intend to cast aspersions on the GNOME bounty
scheme. I was just trying to point out a reason it could be dangerous
for LA to get into the cash-for-code business.

> [ My opinion: I think LA should avoid "writing code" grants, unless such a
> grant would directly benefit the Australian FOSS community in some way.

In general I agree, but there are some reasons it may be worthwhile in
the short term. So far we've been spectacularly unsuccessful at finding
grant recipients, so perhaps we need to stimulate some awareness of the
scheme by broadening the net a bit. Then when we are receiving a decent
number of grant applications we can afford to be choosy and pick the
most deserving.

Right now we have funds budgeted for grants that's just accumulating
with no benefit to the local FOSS community at all.

Any suggestions about what to do about it would be very welcome!

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer