[Linux-aus] Grant Scheme: libferris, evolution and libxml

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 4 09:45:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 21:54 +1000, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 18:21 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > [ My opinion: I think LA should avoid "writing code" grants, unless such a
> > grant would directly benefit the Australian FOSS community in some way.
>
> In general I agree, but there are some reasons it may be worthwhile in
> the short term. So far we've been spectacularly unsuccessful at finding
> grant recipients, so perhaps we need to stimulate some awareness of the
> scheme by broadening the net a bit. Then when we are receiving a decent
> number of grant applications we can afford to be choosy and pick the
> most deserving.
>
> Right now we have funds budgeted for grants that's just accumulating
> with no benefit to the local FOSS community at all.

I mainly included the "writing random feature" part in the application
because it seemed to fit what the grants page requested.

I'd much rather have taken the tact that the libferris project has been
around and actively developed over the last 4+ years, has grown quite
feature full over the years in terms of what it can mount and what
metadata it can expose etc. (eg, the sloc and linuxjournal references).
Basically that the project itself has been and continues to be enjoyable
enough to hack on for it to be where it is now. But at the same time
hardware tends to grow old and die :/ So basically I'd have liked to
have made a request more along the lines of does linux-aus (or a member
(s) of its readership) see the project as handy enough for the OSS
community to donate a monitor? Which avoids the bounty like angle for
stuff I'm probably going to hack on anyway.