[Linux-aus] Grant Scheme: libferris, evolution and libxml

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Fri Jun 3 16:23:02 UTC 2005

<quote who="Jonathan Oxer">

> It would also be necessary to be very careful with outcome definition and
> assessment, otherwise we would have situations like the GNOME bounties
> that resulted in many very badly implemented solutions claiming bounties
> just because they met a couple of bullet-point requirements in very
> specific circumstances, but weren't actually adding the value to the
> project that was originally intended.

Note that the bounties were tied to maintainer acceptance. That means that
merely satisfying bullet-point requirements is not good enough - it has to
be acceptable to the maintainer, and make sense within the context of the
codebase.

[ My opinion: I think LA should avoid "writing code" grants, unless such a
grant would directly benefit the Australian FOSS community in some way. So
it would exclude "writing random feature" grants, while leaving room for LA
related code projects (memberdb, stuff like that) and the more obvious
facilitation grants (hardware, travel, subscriptions to journals, etc). ]

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: May 29th-31st                           http://2005.guadec.org/

   She said she loved my mind, though by most accounts I had already lost
                                    it.