Re: [Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 6:53 am, Jon maddog Hall wrote:
> lpotter@trolltech.com said:
> > I must say, from an outside perspective, it looks sus and  silly.
>
> I disagree.
> I was at the LAC before Canberra when people started to mention the

Then you aren't really an outsider are you? Your interests are after all,
linux _international_. So to you, it wouldn't matter where Linux Australia
holds their conference. You can't fly domestically to Australia, so it's all
the same to you.

> possibility of having it in New Zealand, and I thought it was a great idea.
>  I have been to quite a few conferences in Australia, but not to any
> conferences in New Zealand, and I would bet that there are a lot of foreign

Thus we get back to Brets point about this being a vacation for L.A. paid for
by the members. It's not really supporting Linux in Australia, but Linux in
New Zealand.

> speakers that are in the same situation.  Ergo it might be easier to get
> good foreign speakers to return to your conference, and to attract new ones
> if it were not held in "the same old places".

Even with New Zealand, there are not all that many places capable in this
quadsphere for holding a conference like LCA, so eventually, it will have to
come back to Brisbane.

> In fact, I told the organizers that I would skip Canberra (been there, done
> that) but I would definitely think about coming to the New Zealand
> conference, if I was invited (and had time in my schedule, etc.)
>
> Secondly, I would guess that there are a number of people from NZ that come
> to the conferences in Australia, particularly if they are in Sydney or some
> eastern city.  Getting more NZ people to come to the five or six
> conferences that you have in Australia by showing them one in NZ every five
> or six years is good marketing.....and to show them the type of good time
> that you have and the types of sessions that you put on will attract them.

There are also people coming here from the US, does that mean Linux Australia
should hold the 2006 conference in Hawaii? Where's the Linux International
conference held at this year, anyway?

> So I do not think that having a "Linux Australia" conference in New Zealand
> is "sus and silly" at all.  I think it is a shining example of what we call
> "community".

I am not saying this is not good for the overall international linux
community.
Supporting the international community is not the focus of Linux _Australia_.
Nor is it stated in it's Charter.

I am all for Linux Australia helping Linux New Zealand.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager