Re: [Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Leon Brooks wrote:
Technically, New Zealand is two states of Australia anyway. No, I'm not kidding, the legislation has been in place for ages in both countries, it just hasn't been acted upon.

Aussies still need a passport to get to New Zealand, making it technically something more than just two Australian states.

We'll go overseas to Tasmania, too, when they have enough people to back an LCA there.

I thought LCA did not have any problems filling arenas.

How is it helping the Australian Linux Community by taking the
conference overseas?

 * helping them to appreciate what they have;

* filtering out the less dedicated for one year;

Dedication has nothing to do with it. Travelling internationally is inherentally more of a PITA than travelling domestically.

* top spot to be in midsummer;

this is open to debate.

* giving neighbours a kickstart to synergise evangelism in the region;

 * demonstrating the international nature of Internet development
   without going overboard;

* generally not being colonial and mindlessly nationalist.

Then amend the charter to include a more international flavor and stop calling it Linux Australia. ;)

If this is now changed to focus on Linux Anzacs, or Linux
Commonwealth - then state this in the charter.

Linux UK already exists, eliminating Commonwealth Linux. ANZAC Linux I could live with, but what would we use for a domain name?

How about Linux Australasia? I think a formal name change would be a major PITA, but I don't think referring to us as Linux Australiasia would be such a bad thing.

At this point, it would be more accurite.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager