[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sun Jul 3 03:48:02 UTC 2005

James Purser wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 08:04, Lorn Potter wrote:
>
>>Bret Busby wrote:
>>

>>>There are the different aspects of this issue, the first being the
>>>holding of a "Linux Australia" conference, overseas, and, the second,
>>
>>I am new here (american working in Brisbane), and I don't know much of
>>LA's past or dealings, only what I learned in Canberra.
>>
>> From an outsiders perspective, it does seem odd that Linux _Australia_,
>>would have a Linux conference in a different country. It would be a bit
>>like Linux Canada holding a Linux Canada conference in the US or the
>>Bahamas. Does it really make sense? Doesn't New Zealand have their own
>>Linux New Zealand organization? Is it Linux Commonwealth? What kind of
>>message does this send to organizations looking to help to promote Linux
>>in _Australia_?
>>
>>Everyone whom I have told this to, including non geek types that don't
>>know anything about Linux, thinks this seems a bit odd, and raises a lot
>>of eyebrows.
>>

> The relationship between Australia and New Zealand is a little different
> than Canada and the US. Where Canada and the US view each other as
> distant cousins,

Not really. The relationship between US and Ca are very much like Au-Nz,
except they can walk back and forth between US-CA, and don't need a
passport to do so.

You are still glossing over the point that the organization itself is
Linux _Australia_, not Linux Anzacs.

Why make it difficult for Australians to get to the Linux Australia
conference?

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager