[Linux-aus] Can Linux Australia survive?

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Sat Jul 2 09:30:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 09:16 +1000, James Purser wrote:
> As I understand it NZ made a bid for the conference themselves thus
> removing the argument that we're moving in on some other organisations
> territory.

Yep, this is how it happened. We also consulted with organisers of
conferences past and the wider community before making a final decision.

There is also a big tradition of when there are multiple groups looking
to host an LCA, they talk to each other and decide which is the most
organised so far. This helps us get the best conference.

We also talked to international speakers and sponsors to make sure they
would be okay with it, and they totally are.

While we can fully understand the raised eyebrows, especially from those
who didn't see the initial discussion or are not familiar with the AU-NZ
relationship.

There was also the point that there would be little point in having a
separate organisation in NZ (that doesn't really exist on LA's scale)
have a conference the same year as an LCA. So it made sense that if the
NZ guys wanted to do a conference, it be a LA conference.

When push comes to shove, it's about the conference. The belief was (and
is) that the NZ guys are going to give us the best LCA2006.

hope this clarifies,
stewart

P.S. Lorn, thanks for the query, always happy to explain our reasoning.
--
Stewart Smith (stewart at linux.org.au)
Committee Member, Linux Australia