[Linux-aus] LA ctte meeting summary 2005/02/13

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Feb 22 19:36:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Michael Still wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
>
>> 2. Reagarding the item regarding possible future Linux User Conferences,
>> and, with the reference in that item, to the annual Linux Conference, it is
>> my understanding that the current annual Linux Conference, superseded what
>> was previously an annual Linux Users Conference, previously known as the
>> CALU - the Conference of Australian Linux Users. Could this please be
>> clarified? It appears to me, that what is being suggested, previously
>> existed, and was replaced, as it appears that those responsible, adopted
>> the Monty Python slogan - "And now for something completely different" -
>> ending the annual Linux Users Conference in Australia, and replacing it
>> with the Linux Conference (I do not call it Linux Conference Australia, as
>> it is apparently going offshore in future).
>
> Your implication is that change is always bad. Does that mean we should stay
> in Windows-centric world?
>
> Mikal

Like some of these twits here have been saying about a half-hearted
referendum this coming weekend - No and No.

I have not inferred that change is alwways bad. My point was that what
is suggested, already existed, and was done away with. There appears to
be a difference in understanding what had existed. I had understood that
the CALU had been run a number of times - someone has said that it had
only been run once.

Perhaps the CALU was just not as good a name for the event, as it could
have been.

Hence, my reference to the four possible streams (if not at the same
conference, then at separate conferences). I believe that we already
have two of the four streams, as separate conferences. I have seen
promotional material for an end-user conference - something to do with
desktops, including comparing the benefits of Linux desktops from four
manufacturers, and, I believe that I have seen promotional material
for an open-source developers conference, both in Australia (I say that
here, not in any reference to the holding of the Linux conference in
NZ, but, because I think, from memory, those two events are being
organised and held in Australia, although, not by Linux Australia).

We are required to stay in a windows-centric world, whether we like it
or not. That does not mean that we have to use Windows. I prefer Doors,
but Jim Morrison is dead, and the acid has gone.

And, to leave this windows-centric world, I would be very wary. After
all, as has been stated, it is easy to mix up miles and kilometres, and
the loss of a 400 million USD space mission, travelling into unknown,
deep space, is an acceptable loss. So, we may be better hanging on to
the rocks, in this windows-centric world.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."