[Linux-aus] LA ctte meeting summary 2005/02/13

Michael Davies michael at msdavies.net
Wed Feb 23 08:10:07 UTC 2005

Bret Busby said:

> Hence, my reference to the four possible streams (if not at the same
> conference, then at separate conferences). I believe that we already
> have two of the four streams, as separate conferences. I have seen
> promotional material for an end-user conference - something to do with
> desktops, including comparing the benefits of Linux desktops from four
> manufacturers, and, I believe that I have seen promotional material
> for an open-source developers conference, both in Australia (I say that
> here, not in any reference to the holding of the Linux conference in
> NZ, but, because I think, from memory, those two events are being
> organised and held in Australia, although, not by Linux Australia).

LCA2004 in Adelaide had 4 streams - kernel, user-land programming,
applications, and advocacy/case studies.  Already been there, sorry you
missed it.

If you want to go the full end-user conference, go and find yourself $100k
in seed funding, find 10 friends who'll help, put aside a year and a 1000
hours to organise.  It can be done.  But AFAIK, the other attempts at OSS
conferences in Australia haven't been as successful as LCA, so you might
end up bank-rolling this from your own morgage.

--
michael at msdavies dot net
http://michaeldavies.org/weblog