[Linux-aus] "start anything you like" type commercials on telly?

Shelagh Manton oneida at tpg.com.au
Wed Dec 14 05:41:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 10:04 -0800, Michael Still wrote:

> >>Then we should promote some sort of Linux event so that people can see
> >>what distros they can choose.
> >
> > Whilst it is a great idea, TV advertising is Big Bucks and requires
> > careful planning. Without a specific campaign strategy based on relevant
> > market research it would be a waste of money.
>
> Yes, I do wonder if the same amount of money spent on free CD ROMs or
> community training courses or something might not be more effective.
>
> That's an idea though... Most of the high schools in Canberra run
> "community education night college thingies" which teach older people
> how to use Windows and Office and so forth. Perhaps someone should be
> proposing OpenOffice and Linux user courses for these colleges as well?

Here, here! I have a mother who would love to go to courses on computer
programs (University of the Third Age) but all they offer are courses
using MS products. So my devious plan to install Ubuntu has been foiled.

Perhaps one of the things we could put together is a syllabus for tutors
at the various colleges and U3A's to use? Or is this too ambitious and
not part of the LA charter?

Shelagh Manton