[Linux-aus] "start anything you like" type commercials on telly?

Janet Hawtin lucychilli at adam.com.au
Wed Dec 14 05:58:02 UTC 2005

Shelagh Manton wrote:

> Here, here! I have a mother who would love to go to courses on computer
> programs (University of the Third Age) but all they offer are courses
> using MS products. So my devious plan to install Ubuntu has been foiled.

We use the INGOTs framework for doing community based training on linux
desktops including handing out the ubuntu cds. Many community centres
are offering these courses and offering to do them on Linux with legal
giveaway software is a viable option even if it isnt the default model.

http://www.theingots.org/www/content.php

Some blurb from Mr Lynch from here:
http://www.desktopsummit.com/topics.php
Learning through Participation: INGOTS
Ian Lynch (Education Lead, OpenOffice.org)

INGOTS provide progressive certificates that recognize skills in office
technology including the development of resources for the OpenOffice.org
community. A Gold Certificate holder will be self-sufficient in the use
of office software, confident to diagnose computer problems in an office
setting and will know how to gain free resources from the community as
well as contribute back to it. This session will describe the strategy
for making INGOTs a worldwide standard in schools thus introducing
millions of people to the OpenOffice.org community and educating them
about open standards and the power of giving a brick to get a house.
INGOTs have the potential to generate income that can be used to fund
development too.