[Linux-aus] "start anything you like" type commercials on telly?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Dec 14 02:10:02 UTC 2005

Donna Benjamin wrote:
>>>Both, Linux Australia cannot be seen to promote one distro or vendor
>>>over the other.
>>
>>Then we should promote some sort of Linux event so that people can see
>>what distros they can choose.
>
> Whilst it is a great idea, TV advertising is Big Bucks and requires
> careful planning. Without a specific campaign strategy based on relevant
> market research it would be a waste of money.

Yes, I do wonder if the same amount of money spent on free CD ROMs or
community training courses or something might not be more effective.

That's an idea though... Most of the high schools in Canberra run
"community education night college thingies" which teach older people
how to use Windows and Office and so forth. Perhaps someone should be
proposing OpenOffice and Linux user courses for these colleges as well?

I would offer, but the commute is a bitch.

Mikal
(San Francisco bay area)