[Linux-aus] Wrong medium, wrong market

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 08:56:04 UTC 2005

On 12/12/05, David Ruwoldt <david.ruwoldt at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> If you want to promote the LCA to a wider audience I would use IT
> magazines. There are many people out their that just do not know the
> conference is on. In order to promote through IT magazines you need to
> find an angle that the magazines think is relevant at the time they will
> publish. Like virus threats, broadband optins etc. Magazines often run
> themes for each publication so you need an angle that fits in with the
> theme for that publication. It may mean a number of articles need to be
> written by people, or a number of people will need to be ready to offer
> an interview so the right angle can be given to for the article to go
> into the magazine.
>
> So as an example. If the Mag was going on about viruses you would need
> someone to discuss how Linux and associated software is not affected by
> viruses. Talk about E-mail, types of viruses and how linux avoids the
> effects of these viruses. And how LCA is a great place to find out about
> such things like this and other benefits.

LCA is a paid event for *Linux users*, not really for potential
converts. At LCA, the talks are not so much on Linux not having
viruses, etc. more on how to do advanced stuff with linux.

> The important part is that the spiel includes the fact that there is an
> LCA and where more information can be gotten.
>
> What you may want to do, is try and convince a number of bussiness IT
> magazines to promote the conferance through articles. A little more
> tricky as their articles tend to be more business focused and they do
> not seem to be so interested in Linux. This would then start to get the
> conference information to Managers.
>
> The other side is to take out full page adds in a couple of magazines as
> well. This costs lots of money when compared with articles and
> interviews. If you got an article or interview into a Mag it would make
> sense to also have and advert for the conference in the Mag to reinforce
> the fact it was on.

That would be better. Adverts are more targetted.

andrew

--
This space for rent. Enquire within. Terms and conditions apply. See
store for details.