[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Dec 3 16:29:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 18:36, Anand Kumria <wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 04:26:01PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > If we have two-year terms, how about having staggered elections? For
> > example,
>
> If you have single year terms:
> 	- you don't have to worry about the need to stagger elections
> 	- you don't have to worry about people being a problem, since you
> 	  can eject them at the next election
> 	- you don't have to worry about short-term planning (if you
> 	  think it is a problem), since, as above, you can eject them
> 	- you don't have to worry about continuity since you are still
> 	  free to elect the same person

Yes, you are free to elect the same person. However, how does that person
convince everyone that they are on the right track? If they are focusing
their energies into something that will take over a year to show results (or
even worse, be detrimental in the short run - the "no pain, no gain"
approach), how will the voters judge them? They can try to explain
themselves, but there will always be some people who disagree or want to be
more instantly gratified. This happens all the time in politics, and as a
consequence we have pork-barrelling and other forms of short-term placation
in lieu of more long-term planning. We should have permanent solutions, not
band-aids. Shorter terms encourage the latter.

> > How many posts are up for election in LA anyway?
>
> Seven. Four executive and three non-executive.

Cheers. Staggered elections might be a little too much for only seven
positions, not to mention that it is an uneven number and thus more difficult
to split up.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"You agree that in order to protect the integrity of content and software
protected by digital rights management ('Secure Content'), Microsoft may
provide security related updates to the OS Components that will be
automatically downloaded onto your computer. These security related updates
may disable your ability to copy and/or play Secure Content and use other
software on your computer." -- MS Windows Media Player EULA, 2002