[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Sat Dec 3 16:26:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 04:26:01PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:01, James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com> wrote:
> > First off I would like to revisit the idea of extending the terms of the
> > office holders(President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary) on
> > the committee. One year is really not enough for someone to get elected,
> > get used to the position and the responsibilities and then get stuck
> > into long term projects. In my opinion two year terms would be best .
> > This allows for a period of adjustment to the role, catching up with
> > issues and so on and then it gives ample time to get stuck into building
> > the organisation and exploring new avenues and projects. Also having one
> > year terms for the ordinary members gives those who would like to
> > contribute more to the organisation a chance to see what working on the
> > committee will be like without having to commit to the full two years.
>
> If we have two-year terms, how about having staggered elections? For example,

If you have single year terms:
	- you don't have to worry about the need to stagger elections
	- you don't have to worry about people being a problem, since you
	  can eject them at the next election
	- you don't have to worry about short-term planning (if you
	  think it is a problem), since, as above, you can eject them
	- you don't have to worry about continuity since you are still
	  free to elect the same person
	- you don't need to explain the election process or what
	  each position of the committee means (oh, the junior vp will
	  be next years senior vp who will become the chairman in N
	  years time)

> How many posts are up for election in LA anyway?

Seven. Four executive and three non-executive.

Anand

--
 `When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to
  its subjects, "This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are