[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Dec 3 13:27:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:01, James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com> wrote:
> First off I would like to revisit the idea of extending the terms of the
> office holders(President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary) on
> the committee. One year is really not enough for someone to get elected,
> get used to the position and the responsibilities and then get stuck
> into long term projects. In my opinion two year terms would be best .
> This allows for a period of adjustment to the role, catching up with
> issues and so on and then it gives ample time to get stuck into building
> the organisation and exploring new avenues and projects. Also having one
> year terms for the ordinary members gives those who would like to
> contribute more to the organisation a chance to see what working on the
> committee will be like without having to commit to the full two years.

If we have two-year terms, how about having staggered elections? For example,
the Federal Senate elects only places half of their seats for election at a
time. Similarly, we could have elections every year, with only half of the
posts available each time. Of course, the portion being voted on alternates
each year.

The benefit of this approach is that it maintains some sense of continuity in
the leadership, without becoming moribund. It removes the problems associated
with restarting with a clean slate (in terms of leadership) every time an
election is held (assuming nobody is standing for re-election). Each person
still has a full two-year term.

How many posts are up for election in LA anyway?

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

"The "Internet" cannot be removed from your Desktop. Do you want to delete the
"Internet" now?" -- Microsoft Windows 95