[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Sat Dec 3 14:38:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 17:29 +1100, Pia Waugh wrote:
> If we have yearly elections for the ordinary members, and 2 yrs for the
> "named" positions (pres, vp, secretary and treasurer) then maybe that would
> work? Constantly getting new blood in, but the roles with most of the work
> have a bit more consistency.

This would be my preferred option. It gives the "Names Positions" the
chance to really get into the job while allowing those who want to dip
their toes in to see what being on the committee is going to require,
sort of a voluntary work experience :)

> I think there are some great models out there. The main key to success is
> the community buy-in and expectation coupled with the transparency and
> accountability of the ctte, which means that if the ctte is ever slack then
> it is the community that upholds the standard. I've tried to write-up how
> the org should work to some degree on the policies and procedures page of
> the website. Some of it is currently being done, some not, but if the
> expectation is there and it is written down to point at and compare against,
> then even a dodgy ctte would have to do the right thing :)

> Policies and procedures along with the official organisation mission/vision
> etc is all up at http://www.linux.org.au/about/. What do people think about
> this approach?
>
> Cheers,
> Pia

Hell yes, if we have basic structure and procedures written down and
available to all it reduces the amount that any
"dodgy/incompetent/general bastard" type committee can screw up without
being pulled up by the membership.
--
James Purser
Chief Talking Guy - Linux Australia Update