[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Janet Hawtin lucychilli at adam.com.au
Sat Dec 3 21:43:04 UTC 2005

Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> Yes, you are free to elect the same person. However, how does that
> person convince everyone that they are on the right track? If they
> are focusing their energies into something that will take over a year
>  to show results (or even worse, be detrimental in the short run -
> the "no pain, no gain" approach), how will the voters judge them?

According to whether theyve communicated the long term gain well?
been honest about the short term risks and are on target for the stage
of getting there maybe?

> They can try to explain themselves, but there will always be some
> people who disagree or want to be more instantly gratified. This
> happens all the time in politics, and as a consequence we have
> pork-barrelling and other forms of short-term placation in lieu of
> more long-term planning. We should have permanent solutions, not
> band-aids. Shorter terms encourage the latter.

If LinuxAU is following a similar model to a group I'm involved with
then the projects of the organisation will be distinct from running the
org itself?

The subgroups or project teams will be the groups with many of the hands
on tasks to do and the Org official team is to provide the supporting
infrastructure where that is a general LinuxAU standard thing and not a
part of the specific project?

This means that the big challenging things which have to prove
themselves are likely to occur at a project level?
Is that where most of the permanent solutions are likely to be formed?
How are projects proposed and teams formed? Perhaps they are intended to
have a variable run time depending on the task?
If so would that get away from the bandaid issue?

Just wondering

Janet