[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Andrew Donnellan ajdlinux at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 12:25:02 UTC 2005

On 12/3/05, Pia Waugh <greebo at pipka.org> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> The question is how? We are now participating in Software Freedom Day as
> part of usual activities
> (http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/CtteResponsibilities) which brings us closer
> to a lot of these groups. I often have requests from the IOSN for people
> from Australia for certain projects, and I'm now suggesting to them to have
> a conference to bring together some of these groups. Particularly to try and
> bring together the Western, Asian and Latino FOSS silos, who often don't
> communicate enough together.

Work on projects with them, give grants, promote them.

> The FSF would have nothing to do with us, unless we change our name which is
> difficult and confusing right now given we've finally got the ear of some
> government and industry groups. We are in irregular contact with the EFA.
(Do you mean Electronic Frontiers Aus?)

The FSF wouldn't have anything *formal* to do with us: and changing
the name from Linux Australia to GNU/Linux Australia would be hard and
ruin our identity (even if I believe it should be called GNU/Linux).
However now that the process of drafting the GPL3 has started, I think
we should have our say in it.

> I'm about to jump on the board for Linux International which I hope will
> also be a bastion of bringing the international community together. What
> else would you suggest?

Can't suggest much more. Could have an advertising campaign or
something like that in cooperation with one of the other Free
Software/GNU/Linux groups.

andrew

--
This space for rent. Enquire within. Terms and conditions apply. See
store for details.