[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sat Dec 3 12:39:02 UTC 2005

Hi Andrew,

<quote who="Andrew Donnellan">

> Work on projects with them, give grants, promote them.

Good call, although I think we are on a path where we are getting to be able
to do that only now. Promoting and supporting the local community is taking
time as the community starts to take advantage of such resources, I think
promoting such projects in our media and any local work by them is
important. I think a regular dialogue with such groups is also important.

> The FSF wouldn't have anything *formal* to do with us: and changing
> the name from Linux Australia to GNU/Linux Australia would be hard and
> ruin our identity (even if I believe it should be called GNU/Linux).
> However now that the process of drafting the GPL3 has started, I think
> we should have our say in it.

True, good call. Would you like to be involved in being the LA voice for the
GPL? The model we are trying to build is the ctte enables people to do what
needs to be done while maintaining core activities such as LCA, SFD and
grants.

> Can't suggest much more. Could have an advertising campaign or
> something like that in cooperation with one of the other Free
> Software/GNU/Linux groups.

Yeah, good call. I'm pulling together this advocacy sub-ctte, perhaps we
should make it a bigger initiative and include a bunch of groups. It is a
local initiative so local groups make sense but the more the merrier :)

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                "Women hold up half the sky." - Mao Tse Tung