[Linux-aus] With elections coming up soon I thought I'd post a few ideas

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Sat Dec 3 12:16:01 UTC 2005

Hi Andrew,

<quote who="Andrew Donnellan">

> yes. I think LA should participate a bit more in international orgs
> about Free Software/OSS - IOSN, FSF, FFII, etc. Just my 2c though.

The question is how? We are now participating in Software Freedom Day as
part of usual activities
(http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/CtteResponsibilities) which brings us closer
to a lot of these groups. I often have requests from the IOSN for people
from Australia for certain projects, and I'm now suggesting to them to have
a conference to bring together some of these groups. Particularly to try and
bring together the Western, Asian and Latino FOSS silos, who often don't
communicate enough together.

The FSF would have nothing to do with us, unless we change our name which is
difficult and confusing right now given we've finally got the ear of some
government and industry groups. We are in irregular contact with the EFA.
I'm about to jump on the board for Linux International which I hope will
also be a bastion of bringing the international community together. What
else would you suggest?

Cheers,
Pia

--