[Linux-aus] The federal election - what ICT policies have been announced? (fwd)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Oct 1 12:01:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Ben Jensz wrote:

> But the best part of that is that they realise that this may be a
> prohibitive cost for smaller ISPs, but they don't see why we need 100s
> of ISPs in Australia and think we'd be better off with just 30 large
> ISPs instead:
>
> "This may have the result of putting cost pressures on some of the
> smaller ISPs, but there are arguably too many of these at the moment,
> and adequate competition could be maintained with 30 ISPs rather than
> the hundreds in existence now," it said.
>
> From:
> http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0%2C4057%2C10900684%255E15306%2C00.html
>
> So if competition is something they're willing to sacrifice to push
> their christian fundamentalist ideals, then what else are they prepared
> to sacrifice in the name of "protecting our children"?
>

> / Ben

The children themselves?

"Sacrifice your child today, so it can enter the kingdom without
being corrupted by worldly things..."
:)

My understanding, is that so-called nanny software, or whatever you want
to call it, is very fallible, and, the censorship of the Internet, goes
against the principles of the Internet, which involve free (as in
liberal, not "free of charge") communication across national borders.

A simple example of fallibility of software, is the example that occurs
in anti-spam software, of the "xxx" string, so that if a message is sent
that involves reference to a family tree going back "xxx generations",
it is classed as sexually oriented and classed as pornographic spam.

Another simple example, is, as a genealogist with interests in parts of
England, any reference to Middlesex, Essex, Wessex, etc, would be
trapped by  "content filtering software", and, websites of great value,
relating to these areas, would be inaccessible, under such censorship.

Similarly, for anyone who is interested enough to research health
issues, such as breast cancer, about which (from what I understand), all
women should be well-informed, such draconian censorship would deprive
people of access to such essential information, preferring instead, that
women died of breast cancer, rather than being properly informed about
it

And, I am once again reminded of the feral government's Internet
Oppression Bill, which was to outlaw anything "that the government
might regard as offensive", being transmitted on the Internet, which
would include material such as Pauline Hanson's maiden speech to feral
parliament, in which she said that it was time to end the perks of
members of the feral parliament, so that they would not get any rorts
above what workers were entitled to receive. Such offensive (to members
of the feral parliament) comments and material, were to be illegal under
the feral government's Internet Oppression Bill, which I believe was
passed into law, with the help of a senile christian fundamentalist
senator, who (from what I understand) is not seeking re-election.

Similarly, as the man was imprisoned for advising voters of their voting
rights, a couple of elections ago (the people are not allowed to be
informed of their voting rights for feral elections, under feral law),
advice of human rights, via the Internet, would also likely be banned
under "mandatory filtering" legislation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."