[Linux-aus] The federal election - what ICT policies have been announced? (fwd)

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Sun Oct 3 07:18:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 14:09, Bret Busby wrote:
> The children themselves?
>
> "Sacrifice your child today, so it can enter the kingdom without
> being corrupted by worldly things..."
> :)

/me laughs

> My understanding, is that so-called nanny software, or whatever you want
> to call it, is very fallible, and, the censorship of the Internet, goes
> against the principles of the Internet, which involve free (as in
> liberal, not "free of charge") communication across national borders.

As someone who had to deal with one of the most censored "Internet"
accesses in the world - China, with it's "Great Firewall of China"
blanket blocking any sites with blogs attached amongst others ;) - I
think that once you open the gates of allowing intervention at that
level, you don't know what'd happen, and worse yet you couldn't be sure
what was being blocked.

<snip>

> And, I am once again reminded of the feral government's Internet
> Oppression Bill, which was to outlaw anything "that the government
> might regard as offensive", being transmitted on the Internet, which
> would include material such as Pauline Hanson's maiden speech to feral
> parliament, in which she said that it was time to end the perks of
> members of the feral parliament, so that they would not get any rorts
> above what workers were entitled to receive. Such offensive (to members
> of the feral parliament) comments and material, were to be illegal under
> the feral government's Internet Oppression Bill, which I believe was
> passed into law, with the help of a senile christian fundamentalist
> senator, who (from what I understand) is not seeking re-election.

Ewww! Got a reference?

> Similarly, as the man was imprisoned for advising voters of their voting
> rights, a couple of elections ago (the people are not allowed to be
> informed of their voting rights for feral elections, under feral law),
> advice of human rights, via the Internet, would also likely be banned
> under "mandatory filtering" legislation.

? Again a reference would be great, I hadn't heard of that before :(

Cheers,
Pia
--
Pia Smith <pia at linux.org.au>