[Linux-aus] FTA - Recent Article -

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Mon Nov 29 05:56:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 14:42 +1100, Craig Warner wrote:

> I going to use  this  book and article  in next batch of letters to all
> NSW Senators and my  useless  Labour  local  member .
>
> Not going to give up with out a  fight.

Rock on Craig! Anyone else who cares about this stuff should also be
writing letters. At least to your local members of parliament. There are
some components of the FTA, namely the DMCA-like bits which the Aus
government have 2 years to implement. This means we have 2 years in
which to get some people educated on the issues, and make our concerns
known, potentially avoiding the implementation into our legislation of
completely cracked laws (as opposed to a partially cracked laws). There
are some bits that are effective immediately, and although I'm not sure
of the exact details (IANAL), check out groklaw.org, Rusty's blog
(http://ozlabs.org/~rusty/), and the linux.org.au/projects/fta/ if you
haven't already. Anyone interested in helping out get in contact :)

Pia
--
Pia Smith
President of Linux Australia