[Linux-aus] FTA - Recent Article -

Craig Warner craigw at blue.net.au
Sat Nov 27 11:43:01 UTC 2004

Ryan Verner wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 11:22:43AM +1100, Craig Warner wrote:
>

>>On the 26th November 12.00am on The Sydney Morning Herald website there
>>was a article in the Technology section called 'Patently Yours" by Sam
>>Varghese.
>>
>>(The arcticle has since been removed and there is no record when I did a
>>search on the www.smh.com.au, on the 27th November nor did the article
>>appear in the newspaper on the 26th November.)
>>

>The fact that all these FTA articles keep dissapearing really, really
>worries me.  What's going on here?

>>The article was about the FTA and a recently published book called "How
>>to Kill a Country" by  Linda Weiss, Elizabeth Thurbon and John Mathews.
>>
>>The book has been described as,  the first authoritative account of the
>>fashioning of the Free Trade Agreement between Australia and the USA
>>reveals how the Australian government has deliberately and
>>surreptitiously sacrificed Australia's interests in the deluded pursuit
>>of a 'special relationship' with the superpower.
>>
>>Bit about the authors:
>>
>>Linda Weiss
>>/BA(Hons) Griff. PhD Lond./
>>Professor
>>Faculty of Economics and Business
>>
>>http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/content.php?pageid=2395
>>
>>http://www.australianinterest.com/
>>
>>John Mathews
>>Professor of Strategic Management
>>Macquarie Graduate School of Management
>>Sydney Australia
>>
>>http://www.gsm.mq.edu.au/Navajo/Display.cfm?objectId=AAD05150-85DD-4C12-A87B2EEC931795AD
>>
>>http://www.gsm.mq.edu.au/facultyhome/john.mathews/#publications
>>
>>Elizabeth Thurdon
>>
>>(unable to  locate website at UNSW)
>>
>>How to Kill a Country Linda Weiss, Elizabeth Thurbon and John Mathews
>>
>>http://www.allen-unwin.com.au/rights/product.asp?ISBN=1741145856
>>
>>REVIEWS
>>
>>'Scaremongering nonsense'
>>
>>The Hon Mark Vaile, MP, Minister for Trade

Sounds a bit like  '1984' by George Orwell but ....

Little more work and here's the link, read it before it disappears

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technology/Patently-yours/2004/11/25/1101219671693.html

 From the article

"So local firms would do well to shift towards the Open Source model,
and utilise open source programs such as Linux both as a means of
avoiding IPR-related disputes as they develop their own software
products, and because these Open Source programs are more efficient than
their privately owned and monopolistic alternatives."

I going to use  this  book and article  in next batch of letters to all
NSW Senators and my  useless  Labour  local  member .

Not going to give up with out a  fight.

Craig