[Linux-aus] Voting Code - nearly done!

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Thu Nov 25 08:38:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 07:56:00AM +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 01:51 +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 10:56:34AM +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
> > > We estimated it would take 3-5 days of work to do the voting code,
> > > and cost about $1000. We got this figure verified by a few quotes on the
> > > job.
> >
> > Was there some kind of specification? If so, I'd love to see it.
>
> Stewart outlined some specs, I'm sure he can post them.

Heh. You gets to write the specs, determine a quote and then have other
people also quote against those specs. Plus you get to be (somewhat)
involved in deciding who the job gets allocated to.

Sounds like one of those scams where you need to advertise to fill a
vacanency and you put in such a detailed and specific describtion of
the skills required that only the person currently working at the company
has any hope of getting it.

It's for this reason, I'm asking these questions - in case it wasn't
apparent.

> > > We decided again after getting a few quotes for the job that Stewart was
> > > the best person to do this job, after all he knows the MemberDB system
> > > very well, and he works with databases a lot these days.
> >
> > Were the other quotes substantially more, or less, than what Stewart's
> > was? If this was a commerical decision then it would seem your
> > justification essentially hinged on Stewart's knowledge of his own
> > codebase. Is that the case?
>
> The other quotes were acquired from two other database programmers, one
> MySQL and one PostGRES. One quote was around the same price, and one was
> more.

If this was a commerical decision then it would seem your justification
essentially hinged on Stewart's knowledge of his own codebase. Is that
the case?

> > Can you clarify is this was a grant, contract or some kind of
> > reimbursement? If it was a grant, did this go through the grant process?
> > If a contract, did Stewart exclude himself from any discussions? If was
> > not able to (there are no minutes on <URL: http://linux.org.au/minutes/>
> > to indicate either way) were other parties who you had obtained a quote
> > from also able to make a propasition?
>
> This was not done as a grant, as it is a necessary business cost.

Okay it was a contract then.

Well I hope Stewart has an ABN otherwise he's technically just become
an employee.  Which entails all sorts of other problems.

> Stewart did exclude himself from the main discussion, which was not the
> last meeting but the meeting before. I will find out why the minutes
> aren't up.

Thanks,
Anand

--