[Linux-aus] Voting Code - nearly done!

Pia Smith pia at linux.org.au
Thu Nov 25 04:57:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 01:51 +1100, Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 10:56:34AM +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
> > We estimated it would take 3-5 days of work to do the voting code,
> > and cost about $1000. We got this figure verified by a few quotes on the
> > job.
>
> Was there some kind of specification? If so, I'd love to see it.

Stewart outlined some specs, I'm sure he can post them.

> > We decided again after getting a few quotes for the job that Stewart was
> > the best person to do this job, after all he knows the MemberDB system
> > very well, and he works with databases a lot these days.
>
> Were the other quotes substantially more, or less, than what Stewart's
> was? If this was a commerical decision then it would seem your
> justification essentially hinged on Stewart's knowledge of his own
> codebase. Is that the case?

The other quotes were acquired from two other database programmers, one
MySQL and one PostGRES. One quote was around the same price, and one was
more.

> Can you clarify is this was a grant, contract or some kind of
> reimbursement? If it was a grant, did this go through the grant process?
> If a contract, did Stewart exclude himself from any discussions? If was
> not able to (there are no minutes on <URL: http://linux.org.au/minutes/>
> to indicate either way) were other parties who you had obtained a quote
> from also able to make a propasition?

This was not done as a grant, as it is a necessary business cost.
Stewart did exclude himself from the main discussion, which was not the
last meeting but the meeting before. I will find out why the minutes
aren't up.

Pia
--
Pia Smith