[Linux-aus] Voting Code - nearly done!

Anand Kumria wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Wed Nov 24 23:24:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 10:56:34AM +1100, Pia Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the LA ctte went about figuring out how best to get our voting code
> done, particularly to intergrate with our existing memberdb, which
> Stewart was good enough to put together over the last year in his own
> time.

Which is why no can really complain about the quality of the resulting
work -- certainly I'd do things differently.

> We estimated it would take 3-5 days of work to do the voting code,
> and cost about $1000. We got this figure verified by a few quotes on the
> job.

Was there some kind of specification? If so, I'd love to see it.

> We decided again after getting a few quotes for the job that Stewart was
> the best person to do this job, after all he knows the MemberDB system
> very well, and he works with databases a lot these days.

Were the other quotes substantially more, or less, than what Stewart's
was? If this was a commerical decision then it would seem your
justification essentially hinged on Stewart's knowledge of his own
codebase. Is that the case?

> We will be paying him $1000 for a weeks work and the system should
> be finished this week.

Can you clarify is this was a grant, contract or some kind of
reimbursement? If it was a grant, did this go through the grant process?
If a contract, did Stewart exclude himself from any discussions? If was
not able to (there are no minutes on <URL: http://linux.org.au/minutes/>
to indicate either way) were other parties who you had obtained a quote
from also able to make a propasition?

> We see spending these funds as normal business costs, and wanted to
> ensure the community was informed in line with our focus on transparency.

Great! I look forward to your further clarifications and updated
committee minutes.

Thanks,
Anand

--