[Linux-aus] FTA/Open Source SIG in Sydney tomorrow

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Tue May 25 11:43:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 01:35:35PM +1000, Con Zymaris wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 07:51:34AM +1000, Pia Smith wrote:
>

> > Contact fta at linux.org.au for a WIKI username and password.
> >
> > > It may be interesting if somewhere were able to go and check it out.
> > > That could provide us with some more real feedback on what OIC is.
> >
> > It was interesting, the OIC gentleman was almost defending the FTA,
> > didn't seem to have anything worthwhile to contribute to the discussion,

That sounds very likely. I think I have spoken to the gentleman in
question.

> > I think OIC is kind of like OSIA, run by businesses trying to understand
> > what is happening

My impression is that it is run by a group that wants to ensure it keeps
getting financial contributions to keep it afloat.

> , it would be worthwhile for OSIA to contact them/their
> > members, as I don't believe they know the OS environment in Australia at
> > all, and so created their own discussion forum.
>
> Several from OSIA have expressed concern about these guys, so I'm not sure
> about taking this further. They only seem to have discovered open source
> over the past few months...

This last sentence is not the case. I've been noticing their OSS-related
seminars and so on for a couple of years now. However I am very sure
that they are not worth persuing. Their goals are not ones present
company is likely to be too interested in. I have spoken to them by
phone several times and I was unable to find anyone who really
understood the issues.

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org