[Linux-aus] RELEASE: DON'T LET YOUR VENDOR'S ROADMAP LEAD YOU UP THE GARDEN PATH

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sat May 15 14:41:01 UTC 2004

Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

> I think the difference bewtween XML-RPC and SOAP is a case in point.  XML-RPC
> is well defined and stable, and will be supported within many open-source
> languages for years to come, whereas as far as I can tell the SOAP spec has
> been a constantly moving target, and is now officially abandonded by MS in
> favour of .net.  And unlike with open-source projects, I expect that within
> 12 months it will be hard to find info about SOAP on Microsoft'w website.

SOAP is one of the underlying communications protocols for .NET RPC
(what you appear to be refering to here). There are other options -- for
instance binary formatters, but SOAP is strongly recommended.

SOAP is a open standard, and well implemented by many open source
languages. It's not going anywhere. It's also baked into .NET in a
manner which opens up a lot of third party Windows code in a manner
which is unprecidented.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,