[Linux-aus] RELEASE: DON'T LET YOUR VENDOR'S ROADMAP LEAD YOU UP THE GARDEN PATH

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat May 15 13:36:03 UTC 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 14:36, Ryan Verner wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:16:12 +1000, Stewart Smith wrote
>
> > On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 17:48, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > These are interesting words to choose, when quite a number of FOSS
> > > projects are developing future-looking roadmaps that, while intended to
> > > be fulfilled, may not be. :-)
> >
> > I think the difference is - we admit that we might not make them :)
>
> Depends.  Look at sourceforge; plenty of vaporware.

I don't think sourceforge vaporware has any relationship to discussion at
hand.  The press release is talking about released platforms that 'vendor
x' (and MS in particular) has released and actively encourged people to
migrate their code to, only change the map a relatively short time later.

I think the difference bewtween XML-RPC and SOAP is a case in point.  XML-RPC
is well defined and stable, and will be supported within many open-source
languages for years to come, whereas as far as I can tell the SOAP spec has
been a constantly moving target, and is now officially abandonded by MS in
favour of .net.  And unlike with open-source projects, I expect that within
12 months it will be hard to find info about SOAP on Microsoft'w website.

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox
Canberra, Australia (UTC +10 hrs)