[Linux-aus] RELEASE: DON'T LET YOUR VENDOR'S ROADMAP LEAD YOU UP THE GARDEN PATH

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat May 15 15:42:01 UTC 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 16:38, Michael Still wrote:
> Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> > I think the difference bewtween XML-RPC and SOAP is a case in point.
> > XML-RPC is well defined and stable, and will be supported within many
> > open-source languages for years to come, whereas as far as I can tell the
> > SOAP spec has been a constantly moving target, and is now officially
> > abandonded by MS in favour of .net.  And unlike with open-source
> > projects, I expect that within 12 months it will be hard to find info
> > about SOAP on Microsoft'w website.
>
> SOAP is one of the underlying communications protocols for .NET RPC
> (what you appear to be refering to here). There are other options -- for
> instance binary formatters, but SOAP is strongly recommended.
>
> SOAP is a open standard, and well implemented by many open source
> languages. It's not going anywhere. It's also baked into .NET in a
> manner which opens up a lot of third party Windows code in a manner
> which is unprecidented.

Well, I stand corrected.  I guess I picked up the wrong end of the stick when
I went to download the soap modules for VB6 and it kept saying that "The
Microsoft SOAP Toolkit is deprecated by the .NET Framework. The toolkit
provides basic Web services capabilities for COM components and applications.
SOAP Toolkit support will be retired on July 1, 2004."  From what you say I
guess this means they are trying to push people up to VB.net, rather than
dropping SOAP support as such.

Well, I guess I may spend a bit more time looking at the PHP and Python Soap
stuff after all.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--