[Linux-aus] FTA circumvention devices

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Fri Mar 5 13:50:01 UTC 2004

<quote who="Rusty Russell">
> On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 11:35, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > It doesn't say that... it says I can use my legally bought copy for reverse
> > engineering "for the sole purpose of achieving interoperability of an
> > independently created computer program with other programs"
> >
> > It doesn't restrict the 'other programs' to ones I've legally purchased.
>
> You're right.  But you're still resting on the "my DVD is a program".
> Anthony Towns has cast some legal doubt on that, in addition to the
> obvious question of whether it would stand up anyway.

I wasn't meaning to (rely on that)  - the programs I was referring to
were my bought DVD playback software for windows, and my independently
created DVD player, interoperating through their ability to read the same DVD.

I still think it covers my reverse-engineering and writing of the code,
but doesn't cover it once the reverse engineering is completed - so it
doesn't cover anyone who'd like to USE the software for playing their DVDs.

> I don't honestly believe you think we have nothing to worry about.  I
> think your points are well-meaning, but I don't want any of my friends
> to go through a trial and risk gaol time to demonstrate it 8(

No, I don't believe that. I was trying on the argument mainly because I'm
currently writing DVD playback software, and I'd hate to be your friend going
through a trial and risking gaol time.

J.
Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

Have you been half-asleep? Have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name...
 -Kermit the Frog (Rainbow Connection)